Back in my country the situation is so bleak for me. Would I be able to make it another time?
By: Agha Muhammad Mobeen
As usual I was checking my post on the notice board and after waiting for more than one year and three months there was finally a letter for me. My fellow refugees wished me good luck. One of the office ladies, Heidi, handed my letter to me but as I knew little Danish, I asked her to read it out for me. She told me it was a long letter from the Refugee Appeal Board so I asked her to just read the decision. She told me the Board had maintained their earlier decision and had refused to re-open my case.
It was such shocking and heart-breaking news for me. I was so upset and immediately rushed to my contact person, Uffe, to get his advice. He told me to approach Refugee Council in Copenhagen. He issued me with a return ticket, so the next day I left from the centre for Copenhagen.
I reached the Refugee Council at 8.30 am and got a token from the reception. At 9.30 I proceeded to Camilla Bangs’s office. She gave me a patient hearing and asked me why I had not been able to submit notices from the “National Accountability Bureau” to the Board earlier during my first court hearing. I told her my lawyer, Farhad, had advised me not to submit these notices because if I did so my case for claiming political asylum would be weakened. Camilla advised me to submit these notices immediately to the Board Office which was just about a 10 minute walk away from the Refugee Council office. I rushed to the Board Office and submitted those notices in person.
On 26th March 2014 I got a letter from the Refugee Board informing me that within 12 months the Board would decide whether my case would be re-opened or otherwise.
After about a week on 2nd April 2014 I got a letter from the police ordering me to appear for an interview on 11th April 2014, at 9 am at Sandholm. After getting this letter, I contacted Camilla Bang and asked if the police could deport me and she told me, “no. The police can not deport you until your case is decided by the Board”.
On 9th April 2014 I got return ticket from Yama Noor in the Centre office and on 10th April I left for Sandholm. After staying a night at Sandhom, on 11th April 2014 I was interviewed by a police officer, Jorgen, who asked me if I was ready to leave Denmark voluntarily, I told him about the Refugee Board’s letter where it was clearly stated that a decision would be made within 12 months as to whether my case was would be re-opened or otherwise. The police officer told me that he had got decisions from the Board and Justice Department and both had no objection to me being deported. I told him that l had not received any such information from either authority. Then Jørgen told me he had no choice but to keep me in the closed camp just next to Sandholm. It was another shock for me, but I had to live with it. And I was moved to the closed camp where I was kept for about two months.
During my stay in the closed camp, a legal advisor from the Refugee Council, Tahira, visited me and interviewed me. I told her as per Danish law residence permits are granted to asylum seekers who risk the death penalty, torture, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment if they return to their country of origin. WHY WON’T THEY BELIEVE ME?
ROBIN WHAT DID THE REFUGEE COUNCIL HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THEIR PREVIOUS ADVICE THAT AGHA COULDN’T BE DEPORTED WHILE THE BOARD WAS DECIDING WHETHER OR NOT TO REOPEN HIS CASE. THIS POINT SEEMS CRUCIAL TO ME FOR THE REPUTATION OF THE RC. IN FACT I THINK I KNOW THE ANSWER AND AGHA HAS GOT IT WRONG. CHECK ON THE NYIDANMARK WEB SITE.
More than 3 years
My case for asylum falls within above mentioned rule. I do not know about the policy but as I had been living in different camps for more than 3 years and knew a bit about the policy. ROBIN, THIS SENTENCE DOES NOT MAKE SENSE
Through my lawyer, Arbab, ROBIN IS THIS A NEW LAWYER? DIFFERENT NAME FROM LAWYER ABOVE I continued to fight my case for asylum from the closed camp but nothing turned up and as a last resort, we approached to Human Rights Commission, who told me that as there was no serious threat to my life in my country, I had no option but to leave Denmark. Sometimes one feels as if whole world is conspiring against you and it certainly seemed true in my case.
Two days before my deportation, the police officer, Jørgen, showed me the deportation order from the Refugee Board. At that very moment, I prepared myself to say goodbye to Denmark as there was no room for an asylum seeker like me.
Back in my country, the situation is so bleak for me, my business has been frozen by the authorities and false accusations have been initiated against me. At this belated stage, I have been striving hard to find a way out. Would I be able to make it – get asylum – another time? It is a serious question.